View Single Post
Old
03-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Push-pull is when you push through with your bottom hand while pulling back with your top hand. You're using your bottom hand as a fulcrum. Think like a catapult. Most people do something like this subconsciously, but if you work on it you can up the power quite a bit.

There are really two factors at play, stick length and strength. Stick length is personal preference but for most people, the taller they are, the longer the stick. Longer sticks feel whippier because you can put more torque on them.

With strength, most people are a lot more average than they'd admit, unless they have spent a lot of time in the weight room.

Example: You can have a guy with 10% bodyfat at 5'8 150 or 35% bodyfat at 5'8 200. That body fat isn't making the fat guy any stronger, so there's no reason he should be using a stiffer stick than the skinny guy. Now if he was 5'8 200 with 10% bodyfat, he'd have 45 more pounds of muscle and probably be strong as hell and would be able to use a stiffer stick.

But for your average beer league schlub, you're probably not going to be insanely stronger than the next beer league schlub who's 6" taller or shorter than you. That's why I recommend based on height, not weight.
Right I get ya. I wonder if I'm doing the push/pull. My shot is pretty decent for only having skated for a year, I just want that extra power on my snapper so I'm looking for technique. And about the flex thing, I'm tall but skinny and I don't really work out so I think 85 is the highest I can go. And when I cut it down a couple of inches I'm sure that pumped the flex up to like 88 or somewhere around there (not a huge difference). I think weight factors a lot into what stick people should buy, it's not really about "muscle-strength" as much as it's about weight-transfer. A relatively heavy guy that knows how to transfer his weight properly would need a higher flex stick because he's going to put all of his weight into his shot, so we take that into account when we're selling sticks to men's league guys/junior players/youth players and everyone else in general.

But I'll definitely keep an eye on my technique and take what everyone said into acccount. Thanks for the responses! Basically I'm going to look for the push/pull, try to pull the puck in towards my feet a little, and lean into the snap shot.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote