View Single Post
Old
03-23-2012, 10:45 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
If Connor McDavid ends up somewhere other than Erie it's because he doesn't want to play here, I think that much is clear. I don't particularly like when players manipulate the draft and force teams to make selections based on who will report rather than skill. I do understand that some situations are not ideal and parents want the best for their children. I wouldn't object to a player being drafted to a team and asking for a trade because they honestly believe they won't benefit from their time in city x. Nathan Mackinnon had a legitimate argument as to why Baie-Comeau would not work, he was drafted and traded accordingly. Max Domi however, lied (strong word, but the truth) about his intention to play College Hockey; he then manipulated the draft all the way to London's pick. I really hope McDavid and his family see the potential on the Erie squad and actually give the city and program a chance, if he comes to the Otters the entire town will embrace him. There'll be a billboard or two with his name on it and he will receive plenty of attention but also be able to attend a relatively good public school (Mcdowell) or a very good private school (Cathedral Prep) and have room to breathe. I'd imagine in a hockey crazy town like London he'd be swamped with reporters and kids all around town. Connor McDavid playing for Erie or not playing for Erie could ultimately determine the Otter's long-term future. Hope the kid gives the us a shot, only time will tell.
This isn't accurate. London didn't pick Domi - they picked Horvat. Kingston drafted Domi...and he refused to show so they traded him to London.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a top prospect trying to control where he plays. It happens all the time. These teams make a lot of money off the players.