View Single Post
Old
11-17-2003, 05:25 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
For the most part, I agree. My main beef with Garrioch is that he sometimes print rumors which seem to reflect his own wishful thinking. For example, there several columns in which he suggested lofty trade packages for particular SENS players. In the end those players wound up bring virtually nothing in return.
These comments, in addition to Buffaloed's are probably the best description of Garrioch's methods.

Everyone loves to jump on the guy, but he does get a lot of things right. He's also quite open with the fact that he's working with rumoured deals. He very rarely discusses trades as being imminent. Many deals that he reports that never occur may still be discussed among GMs. He does go a little nuts on trying to trade of his lesser liked Sens players, though, and if you ever got an honest answer from him, that he'd probably admit that he's just testing the waters to see what reaction those deals would get, and perhaps, in some twisted way, actually influence some deals.

As for the 3 prospects and a pick comment, I think it's more than likely that the comment could have been taken out of context, similar to what happened with Burke to St. Louis last year. Kevin Lowe has proven himself a competent GM, and is unlikely to have such unrealistic expectations.