View Single Post
Old
03-23-2012, 12:01 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I don't quite understand how it is so easy for so many to just completely ignore that Ward has only been on for 20 non PP goals against all season and is a team best +12 while the likes of Ovechkin have been on for 60 non PP goals against and is -9. Think about that for a second.

Sure Ward is doing next to nothing on the offensive end but his defensive work is excellent. Anyone remember Jan Erixon? Well apparently his second coming is wearing 42 for the Caps...
this.

And the fact that he's a defensive player is what made his goal-scoring outburst in the playoffs last year so impressive. In the tighter defensive world of playoff hockey, he was thriving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree with your statement that he's been solid on the d-end .... but the issue is with his contract and how additional money can be spent elsewhere. People make the same argument for Laich .... it's really no different.

To Add: If he played on special teams he probably wouldn't be criticized as harshly.
He's a good PKer so not sure why he isn't getting time. As for Laich, he's not nearly as solid defensively as Ward, but he has more offensive game. So they are both overpaid, but I think Ward earns his money in terms of defense and Laich offers a mediocre game at both ends of the ice.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote