View Single Post
Old
03-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Houle gets a bit of a pass IMO for 2 important reasons:

- he wasn't management material & only took the job out of being a loyal soldier.

- ownership forced him to cut salary, while he did a poor job in moving assets, his hands were somewhat tied.

He was bad, no doubt, but his failures are, IMO far more understandable than Gainey/Gauthier, both of which have years of management experience, unlimited budget (up to cap), &, at least in gainey's case, full authority.

I'd also argue that the Gomez trade was/is worse than the Roy trade.

Rucinsky & Thibeault were both solid for us... Gomez nothing but a burden.
Roy forced his way out, & while he shined in Colorado, McDo is already top pairing caliber on the conference leading rangers... With a decade + of quality to give them

Toss up, but within their unique context, Gainey "wins" imo
Montreal had above average payroll during Houle's tenure, so I don't see how that plays a role.

Further, as much as I'd like to defend Houle and feel for him, his being underqualified is no excuse for his poor skills as a GM. We are judging him as a GM, so his being underqualified is wholly irrelevant.

Hard to make that argument, re: Roy. He continued to be a franchise player in the league. McDonagh can never be at that level.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote