View Single Post
Old
02-17-2006, 02:58 PM
jiggs 10

vCash: 500
Like most everyone else here, I say go with what makes YOU comfortable. I hate to even wear a HELMET when I play, but the younger guys have no respect for other people's faces and heads these days, so you have to wear one.

I had a full shield Itech, but it fogged up every time you slowed down, plus it scratched easily. The full cage is very hard to see out of when you are not used to it, and if you are a player like me who is a passer, it really affects your game. I went to a half shield for several years, but when it got scratched and the screws holding it on got stripped, I took it off and have not regretted it. Although I have seen several of my teammates get carved this year, so I'm thinking seriously about getting a new helmet/half shield combo. I have good dental insurance, but only 2 eyes, so I should probably protect them both!

I had a puck go up under my half shield about 15 years ago and cut my eyelid for 8 stiches, and sticks will fit under them, so don't think you are invincible with one on. But at the same time, a full cage may make you more reckless (or "brave"), but remember, if you wear one and hit someone in the face with your stick, you will probably be heading for the boards head-first on your next shift! Just play the game straight-up and you will be fine.