View Single Post
Old
03-24-2012, 12:52 AM
MarkovsKnee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
I wanted to be cutesy by paraphrasing "vendre la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir tué"... but to me, being a contender means more than just being in contention for the Cup (heck, more than half the teams make it to the dance - and not all on merit): it actually means that you've got the tools to go all the way (if that even makes sense ), and as you've also pointed out, the Preds have yet to prove their REAL worth. You can't help but respect and admire what players like Weber, Suter and Rinne bring to the game, but does any team in the league really think the Preds are a threat - a major stumbling block on their way to the Cup?
Why not? I simply don't see a dominate team in the west - not even St. Louis - so in essence all western teams are stumbling blocks on the road to the Cup. There's a lot of parity there, so I think the west is pretty wide open. The Preds have the best goalkeeper in the west in Rinne. I think that gives the Preds a huge advantage because none of the other team's goalies impress me all that much.

Meanwhile in the east, Ottawa, Washington & Florida are clearly inferior to NYR, Pens & Flyers. New Jersey & Boston are complete wild cards. I'd be absolutely shocked if Pens (who will finish first in the NHL) are upset in the 1st round. St. Louis might be favored in the 1st rd, but I wouldn't be shocked if they lost. I mean Dallas who is in 8th in the west is only 2 pts back of Boston. The Pacific division leader seems to change nightly. Anyone who makes the playoffs in the west can win whereas the same cannot be said about the east which has clear favorites.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote