View Single Post
Old
03-24-2012, 11:07 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
no scorn, just if you aren't a regular skater, and even if you are... chances are that if you're not playing in a high-level league dressing 20 guys, and you'll have more ice time. The heavier, bulkier the gear generally equals out to being more fatigue (sure a better workout, but wouldn't you rather put your energy into your skating, your passing and shooting?)

there is a reason why the sherwood 5030 shoulder pads are perhaps the most popular pad's out there

I'll tell you... right now I'm using my One95' shins as I'm replacing my others, and I can "feel" a huge difference in weight
same goes from going from One15 elbows to One55 elbows, let alone my 9040 Jofa's

to me, skates & gloves are the most important, as they do most of the work... stick as well, but honestly nobody "needs" an RS in beer league... and surprisingly so many beginners spend so much cash on twigs they don't even know how to use.
I wear Easton stealth shins. Incredibly protective, and I have never noticed the weight. You're drawing a false dichotomy here- low end stuff is light because it lacks protection. Mid range stuff often gets heavier with more, but a lot of top end stuff is lighter than the mid range. Are they lighter than the Synergy 300s I used to use? No. But they're more than light enough, and I don't wince every time I hit the ice with my knee.

As for my personal situation, I'm not a beginner, and skate fairly frequently. I was just offering some insight into why somebody might want top end gear.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote