View Single Post
Old
03-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Maruk moustache

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, we did. Again, it's inarguable that we won the division 4 times and a Presidents Trophy.

And blah blah blah, the regular seasons doesn't mean ****...until it does.

As much as you despised his style, Bruce was a good coach and is still a good coach.
I too regard the Presidents' Trophy as an accomplishment worth celebrating. I understand the alternative position, so I doubt there is much need to respond with the standard "Cup is all that matters, because it is all that matters, which is because it is all that matters." The Cup is all that matters to you if you think it's all that matters to you, and that is OK with me. It matters a lot to me too. It bothers me that the Capitals have never won one.

But as long as the players have any incentive to win the Presidents' Trophy, which they do even if they don't care about the accomplishment of finishing first in the round robin tournament that is the regular season itself, it's not nonsensical to celebrate that accomplishment, and I do.

It used to be the case that the NHL permitted teams that finished first in the regular season to refer to themselves as Regular Season Champions or something like this. I think the Presidents' Trophy might have supplanted this rule though? I know there have been banners that said that hung in arenas at times, though.

I think the playoffs are really fun to watch, but one bad matchup and you're gone, you get only up to four different teams to play, and they are all probably going to be either pretty good or great teams. The regular season is a better indicator, really, of how good your team is, because it's got a bigger sample size and you're not restricted to playing only four teams or fewer.

So, I view the regular season as one tournament, which is followed by a different kind of tournament (the playoffs), and I don't really care what the rest of the world thinks, or at least I try to view it this way, while much of the rest of the world tries to browbeat me into thinking of the 82-game regular season as a mere method of seeding for a future tournament (which to me would suggest I probably shouldn't really be all that interested in the regular season). But, no, I like the regular season, I like watching every Capitals game, and I like the Presidents' Trophy, and I also like the Cup, and think the Cup and the Trophy are both pretty cool things. I'm really happy the Capitals have one of them. I doubt they'll get the other one anytime soon, and that's sad. But it's not nearly as sad as it would be if they never had either.

Maruk moustache is offline   Reply With Quote