View Single Post
03-25-2012, 12:51 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Technically you do get your education paid for if you play in the CHL. The minimum is one year of schooling for each year you play in the CHL. There are increased education packages from there for a limited number of athletes.

Having said that, I have always been conflicted with the draft in junior hockey. On one hand I think there should be some fairness in the competition. I don't like when players don't report, though we haven't really had that issue in Barrie (except with Kerby Rychel). On the other, I would have a tough time sending my kid away at 16 years old, especially to another country (even though its the US). At the end of the day, I think the compensatory pick is a decent compromise of the two.

I expect McDavid will report. He knew long ago that Erie would have the first pick - well before he decided to apply. Certainly he could have withdrawn before the decision was announced. I expect to see him with the Otters next year.
Lets say a player goes onto spend some time in the AHL (lets say 8 years) never makes it to the NHL except for a few games. Is that education package waiting for him? Can the player use the education package during off season during that 8 years?