View Single Post
Old
03-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Seems like trivial reasons, but:
I want an english school because while it would be cool, I can't see myself learning a third language to the point that I'd be okay speaking it on a day to day basis. That leaves German, Australian and British schools. I speak fluent french, but something about France turns me off. Germany would be cool, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend a lot of money of a German school. I'm preferably looking for a place with good climate, culture, which matches or surpasses that of Montreal (or else it would be pointless, no?). I would love to study in Australia, but I keep hearing horror stories about spiders, and I'm a huge arachnophobe, so I don't think I'd be able to survive six months if I woke up next to a huge spider one night
So that leaves the US, since I'm guessing rent in the UK is through the roof (isn't London the only city more expensive than NYC in terms of sq. ft?). There are a few Californian schools that look interesting, but they're state colleges. Don't know if I'd want to go to a State school, considering I've heard bad things about them. But I wouldn't rule out the opportunity. The one that interested me the most is DePaul in Chicago. Heard great things about that city, and the school. Plus, apparently you get a $5 000 grant if you get accepted to the program, which could pay a serious chunk of rent.

EDIT: Ireland also looks fun as well.
Whoever told you that state schools in the US are bad doesn't really know what they are talking about. The Cal system and a number of Land-grant universities in the Midwest (think OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota) are top-notch research institutions with enormous budgets and fantastic faculties. I can't attest to econ specifically, but I'd be shocked if certain Cal schools (probably UCLA, UC-Berkeley, maybe Santa Barbara or San Diego) didn't have very, very well-regarded programs.

If you want to go to Chicago for economics, you should go to University of Chicago. Probably the most dominant economics faculty in world history.