View Single Post
Old
03-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
I would think it would be pretty obvious.

The team isn't focusing entirely on him for offense.

In 2010, Marian Gaborik averaged 21:14 TOI/ a game including 3:42 PP ice time, a game.

In 2012 Gaborik has averaged 19:28 a game including 3:24 PP ice time a game.

That, at we'll call it 1:45 less a game totals up to about 6 full games worth of ice time, or the amount of games that he missed that season.

But we can look further than that to the style of gameplay. The 2010 New York Rangers were very focused on Marian getting the puck. We constantly tried breakaway passes and Gaborik was the power pay QB, in a way because he always had the puck.

Richards now has the puck through most of the power play. And while we occasional hit Marian for the long one, it is not as frequent.

The decrease in power play time, as well as power play importance has seen Gaborik's seasonal PPG go from 14 in 2012 to 9 in 2012. That is good for the difference of 5 goals that you see there.

Beyond that... the difference in production is so minor that it frankly could be chalked down to anything. NHLers don't play in a vacuum, and they are not robots. Same player withthe same situation in two different seasons will produce differently.