Thread: Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith signed to ELC, assigned to Dallas
View Single Post
Old
03-25-2012, 10:58 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
How are cash and cap space the same thing? They would be paying the individual more cash sooner and he would be using up more cap space sooner. I don't care about the cash component.
Because contracts in the NHL are paid in cash. Cap space is an average of that cash paid over the term of a contract.

If you're worried about cap space because of a new contract, your worried about how much cash that player is going to command.

You're also failing to address glovesaves point that this might actually save Dallas cap space/cash. If Benn was an RFA last year, he would have earned less money than he will this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I'm saying that we don't know what the cap situation will look like in 2+ years and I'd prefer having the extra flexibility that R. Smith playing on his ELC would provide. I don't think this is exactly a controversial opinion.
We can't predict what the cap situation is going to be like in 2 years? But .... you're predicting that Reilly Smith will be so good in 2 years his contract is a potential burden on the cap? I'm confused.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote