Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Agreed.

That way it'd be:

NYR vs WSH
PIT vs OTT
PHI vs FLO
NJD vs BUF

if division winners were only gauranteed playoff spots.

That seems like a seeding/matchup much more deserving for higher seeds. Let NJD/BOS beat each other up instead of NYR/PIT vs PHI.

It's the way it should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Lol, from 2nd round on would be all Atlantic division. I completely agree though. Why should a team be awarded home ice over another, better team, just cause they won their crappy division?
I don't pay that much attention to what's discussed in GM meetings and such, but I do catch a glimpse here and there, and I've never even seen this discussed. This is what truly boggles me. They namely aren't afraid to tear down things that are seen as tradition, so why not discuss this issue, as well. My thinking is they figure that it's all or nothing, and that if you want to win, you need to beat the other teams, anyway. And I agree with that, but at this point, it's also about the integrity of the match-ups, not just winner takes all. Because if the playoffs are seen as a mere process to churn out the final winner, and not something that by itself is worth its while, then you could've easily just done away with them, and pronounce the regular season winner as the champion.

All in all, I'd like to see this discussed, and even if they don't change the system, at least hear the reasons why they think the current one is better.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote