View Single Post
Old
03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Sacco wants his most reliable players on the ice. "Offensive" players like you Mueller and Duchene are also the most prone to mistakes, poor defense, and turnovers. Stastny's line mates in those years, compared to the past 2 aren't comparable. He has had a huge reduction in talent on his wings. Even McGinn and Jones aren't going to be good enough for Stastny to get to 80 points. Stastny needs someone who is great on the boards. Jones is decent and has done a lot of the hard work for that line in the past month, but he isn't close to what Brunette or Smyth were. Mueller is so far behind the play for 75% of the time he is on the ice. I don't understand the uproar for him being scratched. Hejduk doesn't count IMO. He was a top line player last year and his play has regressed significantly.

IMO, Sacco is implementing the only system that will come close to getting us in the playoffs. I'm not sure what you mean by "offensive", but even the Avs in their glory years were a defense first team. Sakic and Forsberg were elite, hall of fame players. They played within the system and were responsible. Sacco isn't holding back 90 point players on this team. He is trying to get them to work as a group, and get buy in from every player on the roster. As much as I wanted Sacco gone during our struggles this season it is becoming more evident that he didn't get buy in from some of the roster and they weren't implementing the playing style Sacco wanted . That is on the players, and they seemed to have bought in now, and are seeing success because of it. This is just a part of a young core.

One of the things that I am disappointed with this season from a coaching stand point is Johnson's ice time. I think after Christmas he was our best defender for a good stretch but was still given 20-22 minutes a night. Johnson gets more involved and imposes himself on the game the more minutes he plays. Hopefully next season he will be given more icetime.
Really good post.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote