View Single Post
Old
03-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

vCash: 500
Boring read, IMO.

Budaj is just fine. If .916 is far better than what you'd expect from a near last place team, what's wrong with .907? Seems like he's picking at straws.

The Habs would actually benefit better from no amnesty (unless I'm understanding it wrong - would we still only pay half the salary?). Send Gomez to the minors and hope he doesn't report. No cap hit and no salary paid out. If he reports, you gain a decent player for the minors to help the kids along - if he wants to be a bad influence, send him home.

Bourque has struggled this season, but it's a bit too early to give up on him, IMO. He scored 148 points in his last 211 games (which is a 58 point per 82 game pace). I'm more than comfortable giving him another season to see how he does - maybe put him with Desharnais to see if he can turn things around. Pleks is more of an all-around center rather than a pure playmaker like DD. Not to mention I'm a fan of the draft pick (we've had solid luck in the second round) and Holland is a nice prospect.

And maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think Gauthier has done that bad of a job unless he 100% knew Markov wasn't ready. Things happen though that change the course of things and a lot of NHL teams aren't deep enough to counter-act losing their best player for the entire season. For example, Winnipeg is probably a playoff team if they didn't lose Enstrom and Buff for a combined 40-games. Look at WWE (I know its different than hockey but the essence is the same) - they made Christian a huge part of Wrestlemania and the key ingredient in a 12-man tag team match only to find out he was behind schedule and can't compete at the event. If Gauthier was told by doctors that Markov would be ready to go in the first few weeks of the season, only to have this thrown on his plate - it's hard to blame him.

I love the Cole signing. I'm even more in love with the Gorges signing. I love the Pacioretty and DD signings (boy do they look great now for next year - both guys would be getting a lot more money otherwise). I'm a fan of the Bourque trade (even if I'm underwhelmed by Bourque's contributions so far) - and while I don't love the Kaberle trade, I don't hate it either (I think having Kaberle for a second PP wave is going to be huge for us next year when Markov is 100%). At the very least, I think he's done a better job than Gainey - lets see if he can get us a bargain on Subban and Price.

Last edited by Hawkguy: 03-27-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote