View Single Post
Old
03-27-2012, 07:59 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
A few weeks ago I asked Russo if the Wild would ever do something like this to get the #1 overall pick (I asked "would the Wild ever try to trade up to the first overall pick to get Nail?" & Russo responded with:

"No Chance"

I maybe read too much into Russo's response but that actually prompted me to make a post in here asking if we would even take Nail if we got the first overall pick? Just that blunt of response from Russo made me feel like we have no interest in the Russian, which I'm sure isnt exactly the case.. But it would appear that the Wild are going to go a much more conservative route unless the #1 overall just falls in our lap due to the lottery...
There's a number of things you can trust Russo's objective evaluation of, and there's a number of things where you get nothing, or nothing meaningful. Draft evaluation isn't something you'll get out of Russo. He can tell you about the Wild's prospects, which draft picks they hold, and how their young players are doing, but he isn't a go to source for potential drafting insight. As someone else mentioned, if anything, that "no chance" is a statement of Fletcher's behavior. Remember last year they considered moving up in the draft to select Brodin, but decided to wait and he fell to them. Fletcher doesn't seem the type to move up in a draft as open as this one, and Columbus is going to ask for a prohibitive price on 1st overall.

As a side note, an interesting thing I've seen tossed about on the trade forum, but haven't seen a source for: Apparently a number of Wild personnel were scouting Sarnia (ostensibly for Galchenyuk, not Yakupov) and a couple scouts from another team were asked about it and quoted as saying "he's not making it to Minnesota." Seems they think he'll go top 3, or they're overestimating how late the Wild are picking.