View Single Post
Old
02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
jratelle19

vCash: 500
I started following the Rangers in the 1973-74 season when my older cousin got me into the team and into playing street hockey with those old style roller skates. I immediately became a big fan of Jean Ratelle and Brad Park, and so, in true Ranger fashion, two years later the both of them were traded to Boston for Espo and Vadnais. Even though they broke my heart with this trade, somehow I managed to stay a Ranger fan. I couldn't stand the Bruins (or the Flyers for that matter) and I wasn't going to start pulling for them no matter what the circumstances.

To be perfectly honest with all of you, this last 8-year stretch has been very rough to say the least, but there was only once when I came very close to swearing off this team forever, and that was from 1986-89 when Espo was GM and a terrible one at that. First, the firing of Ted Sator after making an unexpected long playoff run and getting his players to play above themselves. Then, the trade of Ridley, followed by trading for Marcel Dionne, a shadow of his former self. The icing on the cake for me was when he traded away our #1 pick for coach Michel Bergeron, knowing that Bergeron was about to get fired and we could've picked him up for free. And then, Bergeron didn't even last a whole season with the team!!

As much as I have hated Sather in the past, all I have to do is think of the years with Espo at the helm, and things didn't look so bleak with Sather, even during that horrible stretch.