View Single Post
Old
03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I think it's a little like trying to determine how much of an economy should be based on manufacturing, how much on extraction and mining, how much on service, and how much on white-collar. I don't know and no one knows, but if it works now and into the future, it sounds good.

I'd say just on an anecdotal basis and from having done some cursory research, a college player and specifically a college project player could be loaded up on in the 4th round and later. From a quick look at the CBJ drafting under Howson, it looks like college players from the first three rounds have been Weber, Hansen, Goloubef, Lynch, and Tynan (5 total). The last four rounds have been York, Vogelhuber, Olson, Atkinson, Collins, Larkin, Ouellette, Reilly, and Ambroz (9 total). The other variable is that a college-bound player who's drafted high enough may elect to leave school and go the junior route. I know Charlie Coyle did that in the middle of this season and Jack Campbell de-committed from college and went into the OHL. Those are just off the top of my head, and I don't usually remember it when it happens.
But here we are, 5 years in with nothing to show. Had we instead used picks, particularly the higher picks like Weber and Hansen on junior A players who might be in the lineup by now might we have been better off? Particularly when Mike Priest was shouting "Win now!" So, to ask the question that the Smiths once asked, "How soon is now?"