View Single Post
Old
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

vCash: 500
I came across this article by Gord Stellick on cbc.ca (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ple-leafs.html).

It's a stretch, but I'm bored and I could see some parallels in this story of the 80s Leafs and the current Jackets. Talks about the Leafs trying to get rid of the country club atmosphere and trade the team star (Lanny McDonald). But, in particular, the quote by Palmateer sounds just like Mason did the other night against Edmonton.

Quote:
Out went Neilson and general manager Jim Gregory, and in came the second reign of the George "Punch" Imlach era. He vowed to get rid of the "country club atmosphere" and change the culture. He drastically did that and quickly changed the results. A team that had looked like it was one of the top five in the NHL, was 20-29-4 in February. Lanny McDonald had been traded. And the final "trigger" for that trade was a 10-0 drubbing by the Boston Bruins on Dec. 20th, 1979...
Palmateer was his usual cocky self that night: "I played fantastic, I made some big saves otherwise the Bruins could have scored more," he said. Palmateer is now a member of the Toronto Maple Leaf scouting staff. This signaled the start of a complete decade of futility (with a few exceptions).
I just hope our rebuild isn't going to signal another decade of futility for us.