View Single Post
03-27-2012, 01:56 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I haven't seen anything in the NHL rulebook that says full face shields are not permitted. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but as far as I know there is no such rule.

I've heard this argument before but I'm not sure I buy it.

Sticks are hard. Helmets are hard. Visors are hard. End caps on pads are hard. Pucks are hard. We've seen plenty of faces get messed up by all of those things.

The threat of a facial injury from someone else's cage isn't much more than the threat of injury from their helmet or visor.

Section 5 (Equipment), Rule 9.6 (Dangerous Equipment):

"The use of pads or protectors made of metal, or of any other material likely to cause injury to a player, is prohibited." Blah, blah, blah... "A mask or protector of a design approved by the League may be worn by a player who has sustained a facial injury."

And there's some more bits and pieces in there. You cannot wear pad or protection made out of metal...You can only wear full face protection if you have a facial injury, or it's prescribed by a Club doctor and the opposing club then has the right to object.

And the threat of injury from a cage, which sticks out substantially further in more areas then a half-shield, and is made of less flexible metals, is much higher then visors, especially when incidental head-to-head contact is very common.

So, there ya have it

Edit: Nbr-17 got me by a minute while I was typing up my longer response! Nice.

[size="1"]"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote