View Single Post
Old
02-20-2006, 06:01 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
I'm not saying tank the season, Minnesota needs a good defenseman and another scorer. Who do we trade for those? Minnesota missed the boat this offseason, no matter what you say, and they desperately need a top 4 defenseman and a consistant scorer to go along with the Gaborik, Rolston, Butch, and whoever else. We were damn lucky in 02-03 when everyone got hot. Zholtok, Bombardir, those guys. We saw some of the best production from these guys and they tanked the next season.

Do we trade prospects for another scorer? Do we wait until the offseason, and try to fill the many gaps we have

Fernandez is a question mark at best, if he comes back or not. Roloson will most definitely walk. Mitchell has been rumored to be leaving the Wild.

Here's the list of players, unrestricted

Minnesota Wild
Manny Fernandez
Dwayne Roloson
Andrei Zyuzin
Alexandre Daigle
Andrei Nazarov
Willie Mitchell
Filip Kuba
Daniel Tjarnqvist (if he plays 40+ games in `05/06)
Marc Chouinard
Randy Robitaille

Kuba will be back, Choiunard probably. Don't know about Robitaille, the rest are up in the air and we're certainly going to lose one or two of them.

If we make the playoff, we need a Steve Sullivan type of player. Are we willing to make the jump and trade off a guy like AJ Thelen to boost our offense? Are we going to trade draft picks for a player?

I told you that we were lucky in 2003 when the depth of the draft was deep. 2005 was top heavy, with a few good picks there.

Most of our prospects that have been solid have come from the 2nd round of the draft, Patrick O'Sullivan, Roman Voloshenko, Josh Harding, Kyle Wanvig (at least he's playing!), Nick Schultz...

Are we willing to trade our draft picks or our prospects for players now?

Or are we going to wait to the offseason and try to outbid some teams on prospects as we watch ours walk away?

If Bombardir, Zholtok got 4th rounders, 5th rounders, what do you think Mitchell is going to bring in? Kuba? Roloson?

If we miss the cut by a couple points or two, are we going to be happy that our players walked away without getting some sort of compensation?

The problem I see is that the entire NW division is tough. Edmonton, which should get a goaltender by the tradeline, is a tough team.

To me, you're saying that the entire NW division is going to be in the playoffs. Edmonton has 5 points on the Wild.

So basically what you all are saying is this: Get a lower round draft pick and let our players walk away for more money or for personal reasons (Laaksonen, Brunette).

Personally, I would start trading our players for draft picks and prospects while still making a push with guys like O'Sullivan and Voloshenko taking over.