View Single Post
Old
03-27-2012, 10:08 PM
TBLHoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Well, technically no, they'd still be in the regular season, but point taken.

Serious question: How do the refs know when a tv timeout is over and it's 'safe' to drop the puck?

Loaded, slippery slope question: Is that not an instance of the refs taking orders from tv networks as to how games should be conducted, and an instance of instilling the sense of game management for the 'greater good' of the game in mind? (i.e., the ref could drop the puck before being told it was okay to by the networks, but face the wrath of the league itself for not putting the 'good of the game' above all else?)
Not sure if this answers your question or not, but there's a light by the penalty box that's on during a tv timeout and goes out when they return to action....someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this one though...

Television timeouts are taken at the first stoppage of play after 6, 10, and 14 minutes of elapsed time unless there is a power play or the first stoppage is the result of a goal scored. In these cases, the timeout will occur at the first stoppage after the penalty expires or the next stoppage after the goal, respectively. A new rule was introduced for the 2007–08 season that if the first stoppage of play is an icing, the TV timeout does not occur. This is to prevent players from getting a break despite not being allowed to change.

Last edited by TBLHoser: 03-27-2012 at 10:15 PM.
TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote