Thread: Cox: Burke Stay The Course
View Single Post
Old
03-28-2012, 10:50 AM
moosehead81

vCash: 500
I generally comment on another page but have followed the Leafs for more years than I care to remember. Mr Cox shouldn't talk about trading Kessel one week and then suggesting staying the course the next, unless it's just to sell newspapers. Who knows what the impetus is for something like this. However, I truly don't think there's many options for the Leafs except for staying the course. I would have thought they'd make a play for Jeff Carter who might have made a number one centre, at least in the short term. He played with Joffrey Lupul at Philly and he, Lupul and Kessel may have been a difference maker from the trade deadline to now, assuming Lupul didn't get hurt. Unless they re-build the team through some major trades by moving Phaneuf and Kessel and/or others (and there's no guarantee that the players you'll get will be any better), there's really no other option except to stay with essentially what you have. You might twick things through free agency but there's not much out there. The difficulty is that I don't think a Randy Carlyle team looks anything like who's on the current roster so I would expect that Mr Burke will really be earning his money this summer to put a roster together for next season that will seriously challenge for a playoff spot. Just look at the teams in the conference and thoughtfully position them thru next year vis-a vis the Leafs position. It's a major problem.

moosehead81 is online now   Reply With Quote