View Single Post
Old
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Kodiak

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
I guess I'm the outlier here, it doesn't bothe me one iota that Immonen hasn't left Hartford this year...From his play, it's obvious that Hartford has been a fantastic place for his develpoment and he should be ready to come on strong for a C spot next season..
How has Hartford been fantastic for his development? Immonen started producing the minute he was sent to Hartford and has scored at a fairly steady pace since then. Wouldn't that imply Immonen could have done the job from the beginning?

Quote:
Basically, he got beat out of camp fair and square by guys like Moore and Betts..And the parent club has excelled with the players it kept, including Rucchin...
I don't think that Immonen was in direct competition with Moore and Betts. Moore and Betts are basically defensive centers. Immonen is an offensive center. But Rucchin was handed the 2nd line center spot, so Immonen had no real shot at making the team out of camp. Even if he outperformed Betts and Moore, he would have been sent down because Betts and Moore filled the 3rd and 4th line roles better.

I'd also argue that Immonen, like Prucha, does not really need "development" in the usual sense. Immonen is 23 with years of elite league experience. His skills and hockey sense are already developed and well polished. What he needed to do was learn the ins and outs of the NHL game, and he cannot do that in the AHL.