View Single Post
Old
03-28-2012, 04:19 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
im confused of why everyone wants to draft another forward, were set in forward prospects, theres alot of good defensemen that we could take like murray, reinhart, dumba, etc. i feel like it would be a big mistake to take a forward, and yes theyre mostly russians and i get that theyve been playin in north america but still... theyre russians. we have no good defensive prospects besides brodin. we drafted all the forwards we need, its time for some defense. a potential 2nd overall, we can take the best defense prospect in the draft because nail is obviously is going first. or we could trade down and maybe get a good D prospect and then draft another in the top 15 or something.
Here's the logic:

The current members of the Wild team would probably not 1st liners or 1st paring on a Stanley Cup team. So, we have to build that line from our prospects or elsehere. We have a ton of good forwards prospects, one great Dman prospect, one good Dman prospect, and a bunch of middling Dmen. Let's look at guys in the Wild system under 22ish.

Potential 1st liners: Granlund, Coyle
Potential 2nd liners: Phillips, Larrson, Haula, Zucker, Lucia
Potential top-9 guys: Bulmer

Potential 1st pairing: Brodin, Scandella
Potential 2nd pairing: Spurgeon, Seeler
Depth Dmen: Cuma, Lorenz

When looking at it that way, it's clear that another 1st line forward would go a long way. We need at least one if we are going to build a Stanley Cup team. Granlund isn't a given as much as we want to believe. And Coyle might just be a 20-20 guy in the NHL. You generally don't get elite forwards outside of the top-10 in a draft. Now, 1st pairing Dmen, you can possibly find maybe in round 2.

That said, I think getting Murray or Dumba could be huge for the Wild.

Note - I am well aware that guys like Koivu and Heatley are "1st liners", but when just look at our prospect pool, it's clear that we need truely elite forward as much as we need a top pairing Dman, if not more.