View Single Post
Old
02-21-2006, 08:54 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
I love the kid, but I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff
Guys, I am just going to throw something into this mix. I have gone to Ontario and watched Staal play about a half dozen times this season. I have to say, although the potential is definitely there, I am less than certain that Staal will be ready to play in the NHL next season. The expectation that he will be with the Rangers is there, but he does need to work on his strength and shotmaking.
There are things in his game that he needs work on. The problem is is that he is one of those players who at this stage of their career they are too good for the Jrs or College, but not good enough to play on every shift in the NHL. He is a player that would be better served playing in Hartford next year. Unfortunately that can't happen.

The problem with us fans is that we think we can throw young players out there and they will develop. There have been several posts about having all these young guys on the ranger D all at once and within the next year. They are outrage that some are urging patience and continued development, claiming that we are stiffling their potential. Most defensemen don't mature in their game until around 22-24. We have added Tyutin this year and hopefully we can add another next year, another one or two the year after. Slow and steady, no need to rush.

I would like to see Staal get a 10 game pro tryout like we did with Dawes a couple of years ago. That would give the organization a good handle on where he stands vs the next level even if at Hartford during the AHL playoffs.

Last edited by ATLANTARANGER*: 02-21-2006 at 09:01 PM.