View Single Post
Old
02-21-2006, 08:56 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
There are things in his game that he needs work on. The problem is is that he is one of those players who at this stage of their career they are too good for the Jrs or College, but not good enough to play on every shift in the NHL. He is a player that would be better served playing in Hartford next year. Unfortunately that can't happen.

The problem with us fans is that we think we can throw young players out there and they will develop. There have been several posts about having all these young guys on the ranger D all at once and withing the next year. They are outrage that some are urging patience and continued develop, claiming that we are stiffling their potential. Most defensemen don't mature in their game until around 22-24. We have added Tyutin this year nad hopefully we can add another next year. Slow and steady, no need to rush.

I would like to see Staal get a 10 game pro tryout like we did with Dawes a couple of years ago. That would give the organization a good handle on where he stands vs the next level even if at Hartford during the AHL playoffs.
Definitely, lets cross our fingers his team gets bumped out the playoffs sooner then later.

As for the most defensmen dont mature their game around 22-24, while that is true for most, Staal has always been ahead of his class, a big part of that could be growing up with his brothers and playing with them on a daily basis, I dont know. But he sure one of the most mature player wise defensmen i've seen at such an early age (I guess Phaneuf was that mature as well at 19, not saying he is turning into a Phaneuf though)