View Single Post
Old
03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
CunniJA

vCash: 500
I sort of agree with Drizzt1 on point 4, but at the same time, I want to qualify that a bit.

It's certainly true that as a "blue chip" player, you're not necessarily looking to head from somewhere that's really on the up and up (like New Jersey or Nashvile) to a team that is still completing a rebuilding process and hasn't really started to show a winning spark just yet. Even if you're offered big bucks, that's probably not something you really want to do. After all, look at the pay CUTS that multiple players took to come to the Avalanche back in the golden days because winning was what was important to them.

But at the same time, I don't think that this Avalanche team is far away from the winning years. Granted, I don't think we're going to see a return to outright dominance like the team had going from 96-05, but we're not far off from seeing a winning Avs team that is a playoff team. In fact, I don't see why playoffs couldn't be a realistic possibility next year. And, a blue chip player could really help that cause a lot. After all, we just saw a Denver team add a sure blue chip player a week ago and all of a sudden, they are the talk of the league. They certainly were not a highlight, hotshot team by any means, but they have a decent nucleus.

And that brings me to why the Avs could potentially have a shot at a Parise. The Avalanche already have a solid nucleus. I think that what would put the team over the top could very well be the addition of just one really huge name. Compare these two teams:

The current highest scoring team in the whole NHL

and

The Avalanche

If you subtract out the first two players from the first team, (and keep in mind that one certain somebody would be way at the top of that list as well) how different are the points for the players on each of these teams?

And that, in short is what the Avs lack. A bona fide superstar. Now, Landeskog could very well be one in the future, but that is a few years off. Now, if you could also get a hold of a few more pieces: a couple or three 30-40 point producers, you could all of a sudden make the team more attractive to a superstar as well. And fortunately, the Avs have money on hand to do that. Whether they actually do or not is a whole separate issue, but they do theoretically have the potential to do so.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote