View Single Post
Old
03-29-2012, 11:28 AM
edog37

vCash: 500
I lived in Omaha for a few years & I still travel out there regularly for family reasons. Here's the deal: Omaha does love hockey, but at a lower level. The Lancers always did well, but then they had an AHL team come in, UNO got started & suddenly you had too many teams with not enough population base to support. The Knights (AHL) were moved to Abbortsford & now you still have UNO & the Lancers. From my understanding they are both doing well. That being said, Omaha is a big Cornhusker town. That team is to them what the Steelers are to Pittsburgh. An NHL team coming in there would face similar obstacles to what Columbus faces with Ohio State. The corporate presence is strong with Offutt AFB in the area, so that wouldn't be too much an issue. However, the population is too small to actively support an NHL franchise. Yes, KC is three hours away, but most Omahans go to KC as a destination, not the other way around. Based on those factors & the fact that it doesn't add anything to the league market wise, it would be a poor destination for an NHL team.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote