View Single Post
Old
03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
The irony of it is these kids end up screwing themselves financially later by starting immediately. Look at Casey Wellman and DaCosta. Both these guys chose different clubs than the flyers so they could play immediately in the NHL burning a year off their elc. The problem is they were not ready for the progame and the few games in the NHL with little success did nothing to prepare them. Just as important, did nothing to convince management that they were ready for the NHL. So the following year they had to play in the AHL anyway. Same thing for Andy Miele. So now their contract is up and they end up signing AHL deals for the 2nd contract. The NHL portion of Wellmans 2nd contract was 50 grand less than his first. Matt Read on the other started in the AHL on a tryout. He got experience as a pro and more importantly had success. He came to camp with a resume as a pro that gave him a leg up on the other prospects. He was practically penciled in by Holmgren. I know he is on a three year deal not two cause of his age so it's not an apple to apples, but how much bigger would his second contract be if it was up next year? These early starters end up screwing themselves. Bob McKenzie made reference to this very thing a few days ago.
Oh I have no disagreements with anything you said.

I'm just saying, I can only imagine myself in that position as a hotshot college kid who has everyone knocking on his door and telling him that he's NHL material.

I like to think I'd be smart enough to choose the development and then make it to the league, but I can't guarantee I'd think that way if I were in that position.

It's not an easy thing to do.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote