View Single Post
Old
03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I know I want Markov, Subban, and Gorges in our top-4 next season.

And I know I want Diaz and Emelin on the team.

I know I'd like to be able to throw the money at getting another really rock-solid top-4 guy.

St-Denis has seemed perfectly fine to me. He has some weaknesses but I agree that he has looked at least as good as Kaberle, Campoli, or Weber. That's not necessarily saying much... I actually think St-Denis has looked better than them, but I don't want to overstate things too much based on the relatively limited opportunity he has had.

Anyway, if I'm filling the #7/8 spots given a default top-6 of Markov-Emelin/Gorges-Subban/UFA-Diaz, then I'd MUCH rather fill it with cheap young guys (who might still have a bit of untapped upside) like St-Denis and Weber than older guys who are no better like Campoli and Kaberle. It yields more money to spend on better quality UFAs.
The defense is a bit of a mess, and I agree with what you are saying except that I'd rather have an upgrade over diaz. Next year's defense likely involves Markov, Subban, Emelin, Gorges, and Kaberle. You would have to hide kaberle a little bit in 5 on 5 situations with a rugged and reliable defensive partner, so I dont think diaz is the right fit for this club right now. I'm perfectly fine with st-denis as a #7 type

I dont care much for Campoli but his contract is expiring. Weber could be thrown into a deal as a project for all I care. But I do think the habs should focus on getting another rugged, reliable d-man.

IMO, emelin is going to stay and Diaz may go.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote