View Single Post
Old
03-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

vCash: 500
Said this in another thread about bringing McGuire on board:

Well, it is my personal belief that in the new NHL, amateur scouting is more important than pro-scouting, and that's where the Gainey/Gauthier regime failed miserably. The scouting staff in Montreal is about 1/3 of what it should be. I'll agree that the pro-scouting has been horrible for the most part, but it's beyond me how we as fans knew the Kaberle deal was a bad one, same for Bourque. That's not even pro-scouting, that's not willing to pay for a plane ticket to watch said player play.

There are good young players in place right now. For the upcoming crop that will be making their way, hopefully, to the AHL next year, I'm not as sold on them as some of you are, but hey, they are what they are, prospects.

I wouldn't go out looking for a new veteran group as a) the existing one is still under contract and b) by the time their contracts are up, we'll be talking about how some of these younger players have grown into veterans.

So while I somewhat agree with your observation, I still feel a rebuild is needed in Montreal, maybe not to a full Edmontonian extent, but it should be approached that way, i.e. trading away veteran players to stock up on pics and prospects. I feel McGuire would be the man for the job.

As I'm typing this, I'm also making another somewhat related point in that the organization needs a rebuild (duh) meaning once you do have those picks and prospects, you must have the right personel to develop them, and that's not to be overlooked by the new GM.