View Single Post
Old
03-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Liminality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
What has he done to deserve such high praise? Just wondering.

He's a fraction of how he was his first two seasons with Calgary. He was lightning quick on his skates and his shot would give goalies fits. I haven't seen anything like that since his time in Toronto. He would throw thunderous checks that would dictate the course of the game and those are too few to count now. He's merely a fraction of how he was before which makes him overpaid IMO. Can't stand his interviews either.
I think you're focusing way too much on the Phaneuf in the 2nd half, when the whole team has collapsed. Phaneuf was quite the defenceman in the first half of the season and showed tons of potential to carry this team at times.
Phaneuf is still a good defenceman as much as people poop on him all day long. He's 26 turning 27 in 12 days and personally, I think he still has room to grow as a player and a person. He's got good offensive skills, plays huge minutes against the opponents top line most nights and earlier in the season was successful in shutting them down.
His cap hit is pricey no doubt about that and he does have moments where you question his effort. I think once next season starts, Carlyle will use him appropriately and I predict him and Schenn to have improved seasons next year.

If I were to blame the Leadership on any of the players it would have to be Komisarek and the other vets.

Phaneuf in a perfect world is not the Captain of our team imo and is a very respectable assistant.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote