View Single Post
Old
03-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage_goal View Post
To my eye, the problem is execution. Too many Sharks players not playing to their ability in 2012. Hockey fans tend to get wrapped up in this "they're not trying" stuff because hockey is all about hard work and effort and will, but that's not what I saw tonight. I saw a team that just couldn't execute against the defensive shell the Coyotes went into once they got that goal.

Expectations have been high for the Sharks for years now, but the Cup window the Sharks opened after the Thornton trade is creaking shut, and we're getting a taste of it now. This team just isn't that good anymore. Boyle is getting older (and becoming less effective). Marleau seems to be declining. Burns << Blake. When the team is on its game it can be a top-5 team in the conference, but it's on its game less and less.

I don't think this is an aberration. Wilson's gone all in each of the last couple years... he'll probably try once more 2012-13. But effectively, the Sharks needs to get into rebuild mode. Stanley Cup contention is off the table now.

I tend to agree with this. Thornton, Marleau and Boyle can't carry this team when the third and fourth lines give you nothing offensively. The depth is just not there and unless you get rid of Those three and magically retool, I don't see how it gets better as Thornton, Marleau and Boyle decline even further with age.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote