View Single Post
Old
03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Hey guys, just popping in to see how Schultz has been playing for you guys and what you think of him. I wasn't a huge fan of his when he played here with the Wild, but he was with the team for a long time and I thought he always played for the most part a solid defensive game.

Gilbert has looked equal if not better than Schultz did when he was here. I think the trade made sense for us because we needed a guy that would jump into the rush every now and then and maybe move the puck a little better than Schultz. Gilbert was the direct result of our game tying goal last night and sprung Koivu on a breakaway with a nice pass in OT. I've thought he hasn't looked out of place at all and he's not one to blame as far as our losing woes go. That's a whole other can of worms. One thing I really liked about Gilbert's game so far is that we could never keep the puck in at the points, he seems very good at that aspect and when to pinch, when to not pinch, etc. He's been one of our better defenseman (not that it's saying much with our blueline) since the trade.
Not going to speak for all Oiler fans but so far (still early, mind you) it seems like it might be a decent hockey trade for both teams. As you know, Schultz isn't flashy and won't even really stand out but for him that's a good thing. He never tries to do too much and he rarely seems to be out of position, great defender against the rush. Playing with Whitney has kind of masked the blemishes of Whitney's defensive game due to his lack of mobility out there (due to injury) and he has quietly been a solid dman for us. Hopefully Petry can continue to develop because without his rapid emergence I think we would really miss Gilbert's passing and skating ability on the back end. At the time I wasn't crazy about the trade but right now is seems to be working out for both teams.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote