View Single Post
Old
03-30-2012, 11:35 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
That's not how it works. You earn your position in the NHL by playing well in the AHL. If you can't play well in the AHL you cannot be trusted with the responsibility of the NHL. Never in my life have I ever heard of someone being "more suited for the NHL".
While that used to be the case, I don't think that it is any longer, as Dylan said, "the times they are a changing". With the NHLPA being so strong now & with other leagues challenging for players, players have more options especially European/Russian players who can return home & in some cases make more money there than in the AHL.

It doesn't surprise me either if some players have it in their contracts that if they don't make the NHL club that they will be free to go back & play in their home country. While most NA players will go & play in the AHL until they are at least UFAs, European players have other options. IMO the better route is the AHL since they are just a callup away from playing in the NHL while over in Europe they cannot be called up & need to wait a full yr, until their contract yr is over. I also think it is a better development league for the NHL since most farm teams play the exact same system as the parent team, on the same ice surface & with the same rules.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote