View Single Post
Old
03-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Tim Tebow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Think you are undervaluing iginla.
I think they are actually overrating Staal.

Despite being listed as the 3rd line center many overlook the fact that Staal still plays an average of 20:07 per game this year and played an average of 21:21 last year. Last season Jordan Staal literally averaged the same amount of ice time as Alex Ovechkin and was 8th overall among NHL forwards in ice time. This year while slightly lower is still among the top of the NHL. Staal has been #2 on the Pens forwards in ice time for the past 2 seasons.

Another major factor is Staal is not the man in Pittsburgh. Teams put their top defensive lines against Malkin and/or Crosby (if playing). Certainly Staal has done his job well but in the interest of looking at all angles he does see a lot of the weaker defensive lines and pairings. (just realized you also mentioned this)

Now Staal may still end up developing into a beast of a player but I agreed with you, Staal for Iginla doesn't sound bad to me value wise. Though Pitts doesn't exactly need Iggy now so they don't need to do that. They are already the #1 offense in the NHL and Iggy for Staal doesn't help them defensively.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote