View Single Post
Old
03-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Since hockey is a free flowing sport, I'd imagine to analyze and quantify a given situation/play, we'd need to first divide the hockey rink into cells of a certain size. Then, obviously, look at the location, position, condition (e.g. tied up by another player), speed, type, size, reach, style (defensive-oriented, "goon", etc) of each player and the position of his stick at the time when the subject is about the make the play. We'd also take into account how the subject was positionned (e.g. facing the board with puck on the backhand). The state of the puck (bouncing? deflected?), the time on the clock, the score, the officials on the ice (their position and tendencies) would also be factors.

It's possible but it's much more complicated than baseball.
The microstats (in hockey, this tend to be the term for "sabremetrics", I don't know why) that already exist and have been compiled in the last few years don't go that far, but they still go farther than the traditional stats we all know (goals, assists, hits, etc.). Some of them have been shown to be pertinent over a long period of time (like many years).

For anyone who is just starting on the topic, I highly suggest the links provided by Mathman above.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote