Old
03-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Check out the Drury curve thread.

My experience is that open face blades with a higher lie let you cup the puck more, which lets you lean into the shot more, and puts more velocity on the shots. For me it was significantly more velocity. Yes shots go higher, but it depends on what kind of player you are and where you shoot from.

I went from Forsberg to Lindros to Drury to Sakic. My hardest shots are with the Drury but I miss the net and ring them off the bar a lot more. I also found it was easier to cup the puck with stickhandling and keep passes lower with the Sakic.

Either way my shooting style is to cup the puck, lean, and fire. Quick release, a little harder for the goalie to read, all good stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'd agree with this, if you really cup the puck and load up, there seems to be a bit more velocity with an open curve. On top of that it's what others have mentioned - you can get the puck up quickly in tight with an open curved (with a closed curve, if you need to quickly get the puck up over the goalie in tight, it's hard to get much power, but with an open curve you can just wire it hard and high), for NHL players keeping the puck down from further out isn't a problem, and the open curve helps with saucer passes. If I had to guess I'd say that the most popular curves at the NHL level are heel wedges (mostly similar to a retail Drury curve), followed by open mid curves (similar to a retail Sakic curve), followed by a smattering of the more rare toe curve, closed mid curves, and almost flat curves. Many guys will also take reasonably standard mid and heel type patterns, and add a little bit of toe curve to it.
This. I went from a sakic to a drury and found a lot more positives than negatives. Toe drags and more fancy stick handling is harder but everything else feels much easier. Catching passes and gives passes forehand and backhand are much easier. Once I learned to keep shots low, slap, wrist and snap shots became harder and more accurate. As others said, once you get it, it becomes much easier to lean into a shot.

The biggest thing is keeping the blade face closed when you want it to act like a closed blade. Otherwise, over the net you will go.

Edit: One-times have also become much easier to have a solid connection with.

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote