Thread: Speculation: Iginla - Stay or Trade?
View Single Post
Old
03-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Medium Rare*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
You have me coming around Medium Rare. A new coach could really turn our fortunes around. I look at Paul Byron. He did some inspiring things in Calgary in limited ice time. His speed created some breakaways, he was physical (when a small guy plays like that it lifts the team and the fans) and he had that big penalty shot goal.

If he got say Kostopolous's ice time would we be 3-4 points better off?
it is really hard to say, people like to crap on Tko a bit, but he had a role and was effective when used in said role. However when he was thrown onto the 3rd and even 2nd lines it was a HUGE mistake IMO, but that is Sutter's fault and not Kostopolous' he only has certain attributes and he does work his ass off every shift. We have more talented player to fill those roles though and Byron is definitely one of those guys, if Byron could win faceoffs I would consider him for a 3rd or 4th line center role next season

However I am afraid that Byron will be lost in the shuffle a bit next year as I think Nemisz is better suited for the NHL at this point in time and Bouma and Horak have surpassed him on the depth chart. Then you add in Jackman re-signing and Beartschi and you have 4 guys fighting for 2 positions (I guess Horak might fight for a center spot but I really hope not since he is a liability in the faceoff circle) and I would prefer any of them be in Abbotsford next year over being the 13th forward.

Also consider we have a good amount of cap space, we could really make a pitch at one or 2 of the defensemen on the market and sure up our defense and would make it so our forwards can take more risks (assuming a new coach is in place).

And since Kiprusoff has shown he tends to struggle when the team opens up in front of him maybe its time to move him and platoon Irving with a Marty Biron, Josh Harding or Tomas Vokoun. I think this team has enough offensive tools to be very effective playing more of a fire wagon style game.

I proposed this in a Leafs thread in the trade forum but never got too much feedback, but I suggested the following:

to
(G) Miikka Kiprusoff
(D) Brett Carson
(Pick) 1st in 2012
to
(C) Joe Colborne
(D) Mike Komisarek
(Pick) 1st in 2012

this would give the Flames a top 10 pick, a rugged physical defenseman (albeit overpaid) to play with Brodie on the 3rd pairing and a good center prospect with size.

another deal I would very much consider is something around Giordano and Mike Green (assuming we are going to a more offensive brand of hockey) as Green brings in a right handed shot and is a true PP QB that we sorely lack. Also I think Green could very much compliment Bouwmeester on the PP like McCabe did during his time in Florida. And speaking of Bouwmeester I think an uptempo offensive system would very much compliment what he brings and make him much more dangerous offensively.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote