View Single Post
Old
11-18-2003, 05:33 AM
Voynich

vCash: 500
At this point Exelby has shown himself to be a hard hitting physical defenseman that makes very few mistakes for being a rookie. I would have to say his value to Atlanta is inflated a bit more since we "grew" him ourselves. While this in no way makes him untouchable it does make him a very valuable asset to us. This doesn't even take into account the number of fans who have already taken to Exelby as their favorite player(gotta love those big hits and willingness to drop the gloves). IMO it would take a lot to pry away a promising young defenseman from a club that is building with youth.

Shane Hnidy is 28, Exelby is 22. They may be similar players in style but that right there is pretty much the story of this deal. Exelby's value is vastly larger than Hnidy's due largely to age.

I like Todd White a lot, but he is also 28. We again run into the fact that Atlanta is trying to build an organization with youth. There is also the problem of size in this deal, I don't believe the Thrashers can afford to get much smaller down the middle, teams like Philly wear us down physically too easily as is.

I think Ottawa gets the much better end of this deal. They get a great young defensive defenseman who can patrol the blueline and put fear into other teams like Scott Stevens and swap first round picks with a team that could fall apart at any moment and find themselves in the Ovechkin sweepstakes, and throw in our 2nd rounder to boot. All of this for a pair of 28 year old guys, only one of which would really have much value for us in White, and we receive a 1st round draft pick that is more likely to be in the 25-30 range. Super.

A Volchenkov for Exelby straight up trade, with perhaps us tossing in a non-1st round pick, would work for me value wise, but it wouldn't emotionally.

There were some fans around these parts that were upset that we traded away Darcy Hordichuk, regardless of the fact that we received two former first round picks for him. He was a fan favorite, and so is Exelby.

I think Exelby's game is what this defensive corps needs and he will be a fixture here for quite a long time, a heart and soul player for this team for years to come.