View Single Post
Old
04-01-2012, 11:37 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Dean, I agree with you on Wilson and Smith. To be honest, I wonder if we focus too much on D as a team as opposed to putting pressure on teams offensively all the time. Let's say AK is a fixture on the Legwand/Rads line now, that means Hornqvist is playing with Spaling and Bourque. Not that I mind this combo as it brings a lot of energy, tenaciousness and such but would a line of Smith, Wilson and Hornqvist make more sense? More puck control. Decent on the defensive side as Smith is responsible and Hornqvist is underrated in this phase of game IMO. Heck, even Rads is hustling back on D so guys are buying into the system. So why not put pressure or try to play a puck possession game with three pretty good offensive lines and a checking/energy line when needed. Something like this.

Fisher/SK/Erat
Legwand/AK/Rads
Smith/Hornqvist/Wilson
Gaustad/Spaling/Bourque or Hali or Tootoo

If we could roll that top 9, that is pretty stout. While it's not dominating at the top, it's solid on each line. You still have guys like Gaustad and Spaling for the PK in addition to Fisher, SK, Legwand and Erat if need be. Bourque or Hali would fill in there as well. You'd also be able to mix and match the top 9 depending on matchups a lot better if you ask me. You also add some size back to the lineup with Wilson along with some pretty good speed in Smith.

While I know Trotz is not a big fan of youngsters, at some point he's got to let these guys sink or swim. You don't draft a guy like Wilson to sit him in the playoffs two years in a row. If he's not getting the message, he should've been dealt at the deadline and if not, then he should be playing and learning as opposed to sitting.
It isn't just defense that is getting Wilson in the doghouse. He commented in his interview when first scratched about needing to move more without the puck. He's reminding me a lot of the young Radulov ... not fully buying in and wanting to do things his way resulting his callouts. Both are talented, both are headstrong and both needing to mature when in their early 20s. Radulov did it, time for Wilson to follow suit.

I hate when Crawford is on his game like he was last night. He is a Jekyll/Hyde player .... outstanding or horrendous.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote