View Single Post
Old
04-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
When the Rangers won the Cup in 94 they had Leetch and Zubov.

Zubov lead that team in scoring through the regular season. Leetch was already a great but he became an immortal in the playoffs.

You can never have enough defense.

I believe a defenseman's first and main job is to defend and prevent goals against. But defensemen that are not only good defensively, but can also move the puck at a high-end level are just as important.

Rangers have Del Zotto, who is a high-end offensive defenseman (not like Karlsson, but who is?) who improved his game in his own end.

McDonagh is a high-end two way payer. But his offense isn't there yet.

Erixon should get physically stronger.

Staal is a high-end defensive defenseman.

So is Girardi.

If Schultz can come in and provide the offense, and continue to improve in his own end, our defense can become ridiculously dynamic.
A top pairing defenseman needs to be a shut down, defense first oriented player. It's a plus if they are physical because that's just another element an opposing team's top line would have to deal with.

McD is turning into a great player. I'm thrilled at how he's developed. But personally I would much rather have Staal on the 1st line pairing. Staal adds a more physical aspect that Girardi specifically feeds off of and focuses slightly more on with him as a partner. With McD, it seems that Girardi's physical presence has kind of diminished.

If we were to sign Schultz, I'd love to see pairings of:

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon

Then have Sauer as part of a package for another winger or prospects and call up Schultz to play with McD about halfway through the season.

I think those 3 lines would have an equal balance of playing time and would be fresher than any other defense in the league going into the playoffs. We have our shut down defensive physical top pairing. Then we'd add an element of shutdown and offense on each of the next 2 pairings that could get the job done defensively while also adding much needed offense.

I don't think we'd have much of a problem if a few other defensemen pan out for us. We'll address those problems when we come to them.