View Single Post
Old
04-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Sami Salo - Healthy, Lovin' It and NOT Planning to Retire

Ben Kuzma with a feature article on Sami Salo. At 37 he is aging like fine wine... or good scotch while remaining an integral part of the core.

Sami is poised to play the most games he has put up since the 2003-04 season when he played 74 - this season if he is not rested again he will play 69 games. This year he has only missed with a mild groin strain (4 games) and the predatory hit from the little puke Brad Marchand that concussed him (6 games) and Coach Vee has rested him in 3 games but as Vigneault acknowledges the rest was over Salo's objections.

While Coach Vee may have wanted to rest him on one of the back to backs with Dallas and Calgary, with Aaron Rome, KB3 and KB4 out Sami played and he says he feels great.
"I felt really good in them," said Salo. "Maybe a well-oiled engine gets better when you use it. I haven't felt fatigue or anything at all. A good base was having a good summer with proper training and luck has been on my side except for the Marchand hit because I could have broken my neck. I've maybe paid a little bit more attention to recovery and trying to take the optional skates off and reserving energy and it seems to be working.

"It was interesting because I didn't need it [rest] last trip. We discussed it briefly and I agreed with whatever they decided."
And as Sami says he has no plans to retire after this season:
"For sure, I'll be playing somewhere next year," said Salo. "I feel really good and the key has been being healthy and playing with a lot of good teammates has made it fun."
And Chris Tanev and MAG both say Salo is great mentor - and on-ice coach.
"He's a great player and a person," said Gragnani. "He's very quiet but very serious and very professional. You learn so much and it's good for our future. He's always even-keeled — never too high or too low."
At 37 Sami brings calmness and consistency to the back end, not to mention a world class shot. He should be in the mix for next season as well. As he says about this year's edition of the Canucks:
"There's a quiet confidence, but we're not overly confident for sure. We know how things can change over the course of a playoff series and we have to prepare to get our game in top shape and go from there."
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...123/story.html

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 04-01-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote