Thread: Post-Game Talk: #79 Bruins @ Rangers
View Single Post
Old
04-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Not sure why so many people are labeling anyone other than Hank or Girardi a goat for this game. They both screwed the pooch the 2nd goal. Erase that mistake, and we've likely got the #1 seed locked up.

Stepan has looked terrible for the last 3 or 4 weeks. No idea what his deal is.

This team is incapable of transition offense. It seems that if we can't skate the puck out of our own end, we're pinned in our zone for 2 minutes. We need some creativity badly.
Our transition has always been a problem under Torts. He LOVES those stretch pass tip ins that we do WAY too much. First off, I don't mind dump/chase hockey if it is executed properly. But those neutral zone tip ins do absolutely nothing but concede the puck to the opposing team. Torts seems to be caught up in a pre-lockout transition game

Torts does not like to move up the zone as a five man unit. He wants to keep our D in our own end on the breakout most of the time. I know he lets certain D men(Del Zoto)occasionally lead the rush, but thats not what I am talking about.

When we get possession in our end our forwards go the length of the neutral zone and our Dmen constantly try long stretch passes. Our D needs skate past the blue line and close the gaps between the forwards. At very least if there isn't a lane in the neutral zone, our D man can make a PROPER dump in for our forecheck. Way too many times our forecheck can't get started because our forwards aren't in great position entering the zone.

All in all, I hate the stretch pass on this team, and I wish we would get rid of it. Our forwards don't control hard long passes that well either. So I don't really understand how those passes(if they aren't intended for tip ins) are going to spring them anyway. We aren't a fast transition team, so I just don't see the point in them.

I have always felt in many ways, our system makes us a team of contradiction. We are defensive minded, yet we allow our Dmen to pinch constantly along the half-wall in the offensive zone(sometimes even carelessly so). We have a dump/chase/forechecking transition game, yet we love stretch passes.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote