View Single Post
Old
11-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
What about Ossi V. ? Would you trade him for White? That would be a defensive dman for a 20 goal scorer? I promise you that PHX would laugh at that offer. Good young defensemen who play a physical game are a very, very valuable commodity (like your namesake) and command substantial return in deals.
Thanks Darth for using a better example than I was able to come up with. Also, good call with the other examples of players like Witt, Nortstrom & Miller as mainly defensive guys that have a very high value IMO.

I just think it's crazy to talk about Exelby like he's maxed out in development. He's 22 with all of 34 games of NHL experience, but because he wasn't a 1st round DP - he's obviously can't be a top 4 guy.

I'm sure I'm under-estimating White, but I don't see him as a guy that has substantial value on his own. He fits perfect in OTT, and has produced well there, but I just don't see it translating to a team like ATL where he'd be counted on to carry a line rather than just contribute. Especially for a home-grown fan favorite like Exelby.

Also, I was referring to White as one of Ottawa's scraps, because he's in the lower half in "market value" of their current roster.