View Single Post
Old
11-18-2003, 10:16 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Sure the contract runs past the expiration of the CBA but they save about 37M dollars by exchanging Jagr with Kasparaitis' contract.

The Caps are in no position to be making demands in this case. If they can move Jagr's contract and save 37M in the process (all the while receiving a serviceable defenseman) they would jump at it.

The proposed trade could really be seen as this:

Jagr for Kasparaitis and $37M.

Wait, Jagr and his entire salary, in exchange for Kasparaitis? The Caps don't pick up any of the Jagr contract?

That the Caps would do in a second. I thought this was still predicated on the Caps eating part of the contract. If all $55 million become the Rangers' responsibility, then certainly, that deal is fine for the Caps.

However, Sather is not offering that deal. Sather wants the Caps to pick up contract. I suspect the Caps will take Kasparaitis or eat salary, but not both.

Incidentally, I do not think the Caps will be able to trade Jagr at all, for all five remaining years, which is why I'd expect to see Lang, Kolzig, Bondra and Gonchar traded instead. Not good for fans, but worse for Leonsis, who will have to reap what he has sown.