View Single Post
Old
04-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with this. It looks to me like his endless laundry list of injuries over the years has left him without the ability to condition himself properly for the long haul of an almost full NHL season. Not that it's his fault or anything, but still. Personally, I'm pretty sure he only stuck around this year for a last crack at a Stanley Cup.
I wouldn't go that far. Even if we weren't contending this year, he was great last year. I don't see why he wouldn't have stuck around this year regardless. He probably wouldn't have stuck around after the Marchand hit, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
It's nice to see Salo have a healthy season, and I hope he does really well in the playoffs for this team, but retired or not, I don't see Salo as part of the plans next season.

He is another year older, and after this season, and given his history, the chances are that he'll be back to his old injury-prone self again... will Gillis lock up a top-6 spot for him? I don't even know if Salo believes that... his comment "I'll be playing somewhere next year" seems to sound like even he believes that he may not be in the Canucks plans next season.

Gillis doesn't make such decisions on emotions... he's let Ohlund walk, then Mitchell walk... and given the preference he has to fast-skating players, I'd guess he'd rather go younger on his blueline next year, instead of trusting that a 37 yr old Salo will have another healthy season next year. Even with Salo, though the biggest miracle has been that he's been healthy, there has been a slight drop-off in his play overall this season, as should be expected with his age. Shouldn't we expect another possible drop-off next season, even if he manages to stay healthy again (which would be another miracle).

I'm a big Salo fan and am glad he's been part of this team over the years, even with all his injury problems... great guy, class act, and has been one of our best overall dmen at both ends of the ice over the past several years - when he's played. But he's not getting any younger, and one healthy season now doesn't dismiss the fact that he's much more likely to have another injury-riddled season following that. Given Gillis' direction with this lineup over the years, I think he'll keep Salo as a backup option, but will first try and bring in a younger, faster, more durable player to fill that role next season. If he can't find that guy, then he'll approach Salo... and I think Salo realizes that... he'll probably give the Canucks a bit of time before signing elsewhere. I think he's even resigned to the fact that if he's back next year, it'll probably be elsewhere.
I normally agree with pretty much all of your posts, but I don't really see Salo as being in the same situation as Ohlund or Mitchell at all. He's at the end of his career. It's not like he'll be going elsewhere if he doesn't get the money he wants here-- he'll just retire. Makes me think he'll be okay with playing a depth role for less money next year. A Sami Salo at 1-2 million? I don't see why Gillis wouldn't be satisfied with that, even if his footspeed regresses to the point where he's only played as a 6-7-8 defenseman. I don't see him regressing to the point where he's significantly worse than Alberts/Gragnani.

I'm pretty sure Gillis will at least make him an offer, even if only a low one.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 04-02-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote