Old
04-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Huge New Blog from Russo

Good points:

Quote:
What’s Yeo supposed to say? His job is to win games, not lose them.
Exactly. I wouldn't want Yeo to say anything else. I just wanted to know what his line of thinking was when the Wild were losing game after game after game.

Quote:
One of the things I agree with Yeo on: It does just come down to quality drafting, not necessarily where you pick (see Benoit Pouliot at No. 4 in 2005).
Yes and no...sure the Wild swung and missed on Pouliot with a high pick.

But look at the Sheppard (#9) pick...before him, Erik Johnson, Jordan Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, Brassard, Okposo, Mueller. Granted not all are studs, but if the Wild were picking in the top five, they'd have one of EJ, Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel. Do you think maybe that would have been better than Sheppard?

Quote:
And as I pointed out in the article, years from now, we may find out that Mikael Granlund (at 9th overall) and Jonas Brodin (at 10th) were better draft picks than some of the guys taken ahead of them.
Maybe, maybe not. One pick ahead of Brodin was Dougie Hamilton, who is 6'4, put up 1.5 PPG in juniors, and is just a complete stud. Two picks ahead was Couturier, who would have been a top line player for the Wild most of the year.

Quote:
The Wild absolutely blew SIX consecutive first-round picks.
And how many of those were top five picks? One. It's a lot easier to hit earlier in the draft.

Quote:
The idea of tanking is impossible.
Yes. Which is why you never actually tank, you just suck.

But I'm not upset the Wild are "tanking" or "not tanking", it's that they suck all year and then turn it on at the end.

Quote:
Frankly, the Wild’s improved play of late, I think, proves just how big of a loss Mikko Koivu was. That’s why it’s incumbent on GM Chuck Fletcher to fix this problem. It’s inexcusable that the Wild annually is a Mikko Koivu injury away from disaster.
And that's why this season is on Fletcher. Not injuries, Fletcher. He didn't have enough depth for the team, even when they looked like they were good enough to get a playoff spot. He didn't make the moves necessary. He was content to let them lose and alienate the fans yet again.

Can he draft? Sure. Can he put together an NHL team? So far, no.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote